1. I am so excited because a week from now I will be at the national SCBWI summer conference in LA! Not only will my two very favorite writing friends, Heather Trese* and Shana Silver, be hanging out with me, I'll be meeting up with all sorts of awesome kidlit peeps. Are any of you going to be there? If you see me trolling around the lobby, come say hi to me! I'm super easy to recognize...I am six feet tall and I have platinum blonde hair, so I usually stick out in a crowd.
I'm really looking forward to kidlit drinks at Pink Taco, the conference gala, and, of course, some face time with all of my online writer pals. SCBWI LA is like my Christmas.
(BTW, conference goers, have you gotten the conference app yet? It's awesome. I'm already putting together my schedule.)
2. Oh, speaking of SCBWI LA...remember I set myself a deadline to finish my revision before the conference? Well, the husband is out of town for the weekend at a bachelor party, so I'm hoping to get down to business since he's not around to distract me with his trash TV watching.
The deadline is STILL ON and I am still plugging away. I'm in the "I'm not really sure what to do with this" portion of revision, but I have faith that it will all work out. We'll see how it goes.
3. And with SCBWI LA so close, that means I have less than a month left of my summer break. I AM SO SAD ABOUT THIS. I've been enjoying the heck out of being off, and the thought of going back to work is more than a little bit painful. I miss my students like crazy, and I'm so excited to get to know a new bunch this year, but YOU GUYS. I'll be teaching ZERO PERIOD. I have to begin teaching at 7:30 am, and I have a 20 minute commute, so I have to be up EARLY. I'm less than stoked about this. Morning person I am NOT.
I much prefer sleeping in until 9am and snuggling with the doggy.
But I guess I prefer getting a paycheck even more than that.
4. Speaking of the doggy, it's been awhile since I've shared a cute Gunner pic. I know what you guys want. You want more Gunner! Well, here's a particularly cute one from my phone.
Doesn't he have the sweetest face? I love him so much.
5. And, apropos of nothing, on Monday when I was watching The Bachelorette** I was reminded again of the episode of The Bachelorette I was on way back in the first season. It was in 2003, which was pre-YouTube, so I haven't been able to find a video of it anywhere. I got a wild hair on Monday and searched and searched and searched, but nothing.
Then I remembered that someone on a message board I posted on at the time saved a clip of the show as a video file and sent it to me. I went back to the message board, logged on, and LO there was the clip, still in my private message inbox.
I was able to upload it to YouTube, but the quality is TERRIBLE. (Almost as terrible as my 2003 flippy haircut...) It's all pixelated and awful, but, well, the sound is perfect, and that's all you need.
So here's my latest attention whoring...my network TV debut. (And, yes, I've already posted this on Twitter and facebook. You know how I do.)
I found out later that Trista is actually an alumna of my sorority and I felt pretty bad for embarrassing her on national TV, but, whatever, it's still pretty fun.
Happy Friday, friends! (And good luck with that!)
*I have a problem with the fact that Heather hasn't blogged since January. Hem hem.
**Okay, the husband isn't the only one who watches trash TV...