1. I hit up the Borders closing sale again, this time to stock up on some books for my classroom library.
First I got this over the weekend at 60% off
Then I went back yesterday and got this at 80% off
I sure hope my students love all of these new reads!
(And, yes, I have the most amazing classroom library EVER, in case you were wondering.)
2. I'm still super bummed over the closing of Borders. I went to B&N and got one of their memberships...and I totally felt dirty about it. I'm such a Borders girl. I feel like a little piece of myself is going away with the closing of these stores. Bye, Borders! You have been awesome to me! I'll miss you!
3. We had a bit of a heat wave this week in southern California. Holy Moses was it hot in my neck of the woods. 105-ish where I teach, and close to 90 at my place near the beach. Being so near the beach, I have no AC in my place, and I swear it is a sauna in there. It's always a good 15 degrees hotter inside my apartment than it is outside, and no amount of open widows or fans bring any relief. Even having the light or the computer on adds extra heat to the room, so I sat around in the dark, just staring at the dog, both of us wishing for some kind of break.
It's supposed to cool down this weekend, and to that I say THANK YOU SO MUCH MOTHER NATURE I WAS DYING.
I love summer and I love the heat, but my little beach area isn't really equipped for those high temps.
4. I'm excited because I was asked to join the staff of our school's yearbook and become the writing advisor! I was very involved in my own yearbook in high school, and I was a co-editor my senior year. I loved everything about yearbook - writing, design, and photography. I'm super stoked to be able to get involved in my students' yearbooks! I know yearbooking has changed...back when I was in high school we actually typed up our stuff on one of these:
5. Okay, this is a big one. I'm getting really, really close to being done with my WIP. I had been hemming and hawing and writing around some of my major problems, and pretty much avoiding making any actual progress. But then I had a couple of breakthroughs, realized how to solve some of those things (well, theoretically, anyway), and got super motivated to be DONE WITH THIS THING ALREADY.
I wanted to set a deadline for myself, but my self-imposed deadlines don't really work. If someone else sets a deadline for me? I'm all over it. But when I set it? Psssh. I make excuse after excuse until that deadline is in my rearview mirror. I guess I just don't take myself seriously.
Well, I needed something to get me motivated...and then I remembered my birthday is coming up soon. This month, actually. And I figured that the best birthday gift I could give myself would be a completed ms.
This isn't really a deadline, see? It's a PRESENT. TO MYSELF.
So, that's my goal. A completed and polished ms by my birthday...September 26th. Can I pull it off?
Happy weekend, everyone!