1. The husband and I have very little in common. We like different movies and TV shows, we like different music, we enjoy different leisure time activities. We have different backgrounds, family situations, education level, political beliefs, and friends. I'm amazed that after thirteen years of being together that we still have anything to talk about.
There are only a few things we are both enthusiastic about...traveling, beer, and the band Jimmy Eat World.
Last night Jimmy played a very special show in LA at the Wiltern, one of my very favorite concert venues. To celebrate the 10th anniversary of their album Bleed American, they played the entire album all the way through. We went to a similar show they did a couple of years ago for the anniversary of their album Clarity, and since Bleed American is the album that got me into Jimmy in the first place, I knew I couldn't miss this show. Luckily the husband agreed and we snagged some last minute tickets on StubHub for half the price they were going for on Ticketmaster and we made a school night drive out to LA for the show.
I've seen them live about five times now, and I have to say that this show was my absolute favorite. They were AMAZING last night. They had this new arrangement of Your House that pretty much blew my mind. And the best part is that they played an entire set AFTER they were done with Bleed American. So we got the entire BA album and then 45 minutes worth of other stuff, too.
It's SO worth being a little sleepy today.
2. I have finally broken my reading slump and picked up a book! I'm about halfway through Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. I wasn't sure if I would like it because fantasy is really not my thing, but everyone assured me that the writing was so amazing that I wouldn't care.
I agree...the writing is amazing. And it has one of my new favorite lines ever in a book. I can't say that I don't care that it's fantasy...it is taking me a LOT longer to read than it normally would, and I think it's because I just don't have a fantasy brain, but I am enjoying it. I can't wait to get back into it tonight.
3. Sunday is the OC Children's Book Festival! I love this festival because it is so close to me...I love it when I don't have to drive to LA or SD for a book event! If you are in the OC (or LA or SD) area, you should really come check it out. Lots of great YA authors are going to be there, and if you have little kiddos it will be a lot of fun for them, too.
I have to crack up sometimes when I think about my life. Saturday...birthday party at a bar. Sunday...children's book festival (when I don't have any children). My life freaking RULES, I swear.
4. I'm sad to say that I think I'm going to have to skip the 2nd Campaigner Challenge. I had so much fun with the first one, and I was really hoping to get it done, but finishing my actual WIP this week was my #1 priority. And this weekend I have way too much going on to get it finished in time for the Monday cutoff. If I didn't care about quality I could just bust out 200 words in a few minutes, but I'm not like that. I want it to be good. And good takes time, which I don't have a ton of right now. Waah.
5. Okay, speaking of my WIP, here's the question everyone is dying to know the answer to...did I make my birthday deadline?
By the time I went to sleep on the night of my birthday I had finished writing, editing, and fixing everything I needed to write, edit, and fix...EXCEPT one troublesome scene I was afraid to write, and the details right before and after it. I had time to wirte it before the deadline, I just...didn't. Because I was letting it intimidate me.
Ugh. Why do we do this to ourselves?
Anyway, I finally got over my fear and just sat down and pounded it out. So, I got it all wrapped up on Wednesday afternoon. I still totally count that as a win.
I hope you all have a fantastic weekend...and hopefully I'll see some of you at the OC Children's Book Festival on Sunday!