1. This week has been a really rough one for me, friends. I thought for sure that Mercury must be in retrograde or something, but according to this site it isn't. So I don't know WTF is going on. I've had technology fail after technology fail, I've been a clumsy mess, and it's just basically been a ROUGH WEEK. I have never been so happy to see Friday get here, I swear.
2. My first major technology fail happened on Tuesday night. Back when I got my Mac, I got a trial version of iWorks. But when it it expired I ended up getting Scrivener to do my writing, so it was no big deal that I didn't have a word processing program on there. I got to the point in editing my WIP, though, that I needed to move from Scrivener and edit on Word. I still didn't have iWorks, and I had an extra Dell for work, so I just started doing my writing on that instead of my Mac. Well, I finally got a copy of iWorks and installed it on Tuesday night. Then I got to town doing a TON of polishing on my WIP. Well, don't you know that it didn't install correctly (even though it said it did) and I lost all my changes?! OF COURSE I DID. It turns out that there is a glitch when installing iWorks out of the box when you have the trial versoin installed. OF COURSE THERE IS. I tried all day on Wednesday to uninstall the trial version, but apparently little files were living in places I couldn't find, so I couldn't get rid of it. I spent all day fretting over it. I finally made an appointment at the Genius bar at my local Apple store and, of course, the Genius clicked like two things and it was all fixed.
So now I can happily edit on my Mac like a normal person, but all of Tuesday night's polishing is lost. Womp womp.
(I have to say that having access to the Genius bar is the BEST reason to buy a Mac. Life savers, them.)
3. My second fail involves my normal photo hosting site and the post I had planned for yesterday. My pictures just never uploaded. They always upload just fine and this time they just NEVER DID. And I was too busy with everything falling into a shambles around me this week to try to figure out WHY and make it work. I just kept trying and trying to upload and then I just gave up on the pictures and the post and everything. Bah. I guess I'll try to post it some other time when I'm not such a mess.
4. I was hoping to go down to San Diego this weekend and hang out in the bar at World Fantasy Con...so many of my bloggy and Twitter friends are down there, and I SO wanted to go hang out with them! But in the end I decided to be a Big Girl and stay home and work. It's the end of the quarter and grades are due, and I have some other pressing obligations. It really kills me (like, honestly, hurts me down deep inside) to know that people are out having fun and I'm not there, but I need to learn to make adult decisions every now and then. So, go me. I'll be locked in my cave this weeked.
5. So, I totally committed to NaNoWriMo, but with everything going wrong I really don't see how I'm going to do this. But I'm committed, you guys! I told my students about it! I have a NaNo countdown on the white board. I have some of them doing it with me. I even filmed a video about it for our morning news that is going to play on Monday! So I HAVE to do it. The entire student body will judge me if I don't do it. But I don't feel mentally prepared AT ALL. I mean...NOT AT ALL. I guess I'll add that to my enormous list of Big Girl things to do this weekend.
An entire school of teenagers judging you is a great motivator, I guess. But UGH. My brain. It's a disaster right now.
I hope all of you had a better week than I did...and I hope you all have a great weekend! <3