• He woke up on planet Trucon, inside a fence he shouldn't have been able to pass.
• He has an annirad blaster wound to the back of his head.
• He has no memory.
• He is now under the protection of a mysterious benefactor.
• His name is Chase Garrety.
This is what Chase Garrety knows:
• He has a message: "Guide the star."
• Time is running out.
So, full disclosure...I'm sure you all know that Rachel Searles is one of my writing besties and favorite people. That being said, I didn't read this book until it was in ARC form and I was a little worried that I wasn't going to love it. It's pretty far out of my book comfort zone...middle grade sci-fi is not what I would pull off the shelf if I had a choice, so it was a possibility it wouldn't be for me. That's always a scary thing...what if you don't love the book of a person you love? That can be awkward.
Well, thank goodness there was no awkwardness here because OMG I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH. I seriously couldn't put it down, and I'm so glad that I know Rachel, otherwise I would have never reached out of my comfort zone and read this awesome book!
What's so fun about this book is the non-stop action. Every time I thought Chase and co were in the clear, nope! Something worse happened to them! Every time I thought I could read one more chapter and go to bed, nope! Something unexpected and exciting popped up and kept me turning the page. It's full of twists and turns and questionable loyalties and mysterious characters and strange and cool creatures that you seriously can't put it down.
It's the perfect book for my eighth graders...in fact, I'm going to start reading this one aloud to them in a few weeks. I book talked it to them already, and I swear their jaws were hanging open.
It's an exciting, tightly-plotted thrill ride through space, and I would totally say that even if Rachel wasn't my friend.
Check out what the other Bookanistas are up to...
- Shari Arnold is loving LADY THIEF (Scarlet #2) by A.C. Gaughen
- Rebecca Behrens is captivated by NIGHTINGALE'S NEST by Nikki Loftin
- Katy Upperman is pulsating for HEARTBEAT by Elizabeth Scott
- Tracy Banghart is spellbound by CAPTIVATE by Vanessa Garden
- Christine Fonseca is intrigued by VENGEANCE by Megan Miranda
- Kimberly Sabatini is riveted by PUSH by Corrine Jackson
- Tracey Neithercott is hypnotized by THESE BROKEN STARS by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner